My backyard is one of the stops on the tour. For anyone wishing to overcome procrastination on multiple backyard projects, there's nothing like periodically inviting the public in to have a look.
I'm calling my stop on the tour "Conservation Without Deprivation". It will feature varied low-cost strategies to lower the carbon footprint of a home, garden and community. Small, ongoing changes in landscape and lifestyle can yield big results.
- Solar living without solar panels
- Energy monitors to help identify unnecessary energy consumption
- Manipulating rainwater runoff for a drier basement and greener garden
- Gardening without fertilizer and (mostly) without weeds
- No-work composting
- “Heron-Certified” miniponds (a heron came by one day to eat the goldfish)
- Low energy, non-toxic ways to battle invasions of bamboo and ivy
- Integrating autumn leaves into the backyard landscape